I’ve been thinking about the idea of qualified and sanctioned. Who gets the right to tell us what things to like and dislike? Why are these experts more qualified than our own nose to sniff out what we like in terms of our art, our food and our experiences? So, I smell another list. These are the things that are SOOO GOOD, even though they’re unsanctioned by experts and (supposedly) SOOOO BAD.
Here’s my starter list (and I will refrain from justifying my choices, because the fact that I like them is justification enough, so there):
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith
- Joe vs. the Volcano
- Coke and Orange Slurpees
- Rippled chips with dill pickle dip
- Gilbert & Sullivan (speaking of which, have you got your tickets to Iolanthe yet?)
- Big Macs
- (and, in the spirit of fair competition) A Wendy’s Bacon Big Classic. Oh, and I nearly forgot their cheese and bacon baked potato
- My Mom’s French Fries
- Gwen Stefani’s “I Ain’t No Holleback Girl“
- Warm Croissants with butter and strawberry jam.
- Tim Horton’s coffee
- Irish Chick-lit: Marian Keyes is my favourite (she uses my favourite Irish insult ‘Gobshite’ with panache–that wasn’t a justification, I just wanted to write it down because it makes me laugh)
- Less Than Perfect (cancelled now, but I enjoyed it while it lasted)
- Mushrooms Neptune from the Keg with warm bread and butter
- In pyjamas by 8:30 pm with an evening full of sit-com watching ahead
- Lying around on Saturday morning with the newspaper and a ceramic mug full of coffee
- A steak dinner, ooh or roast beef. mmmm beef
- Those twirly cinnamon sticks of sugary nothingness from Taco Bell/KFC
- Penne con salsiccia from Romano’s Macaroni Grill
- really good choirs, especially if they’re a cappella
Okay, I know you’re chomping at the bit (or perhaps your own guilty pleasureful fast food hamburger) to let me know of your guilty pleasure list. So….GO!