Be warned. This entry contains spoilers.
I’ve been thinking about the things in life that are so beautiful they bring us to tears. I don’t mean things that are sad necessarily, but those things that make us cry just from their sheer beauty. Here’s my list.
In the Movie category:
· The last 15 minutes of Stranger than Fiction, from the moment that Harold is told he has to die to serve Karen’s masterpiece all the way through to the last voiced over monologue about all the things that save our lives. So. Very. Beautiful. I love the whole movie, the script and Zach Helm, but that last 15 minutes just sends me over the edge.
· Whale Rider: The scene where the girl stands up to tell the story of her people and her grandfather doesn’t show up. Ohmigod. I couldn’t even describe it out loud without crying.
· You are the New Day, King’s Singers. I heard it first when I was pregnant. You can just imagine the waterworks that ensued.
· Butterly, by Rajaton.
This choir has NO accompaniment folks. That’s all voice. Amazing.
· Like an Angel Passing Through my Room. This song is written by the ABBA guys Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus and is sung by Sophie van Otter on the album For the Stars (with Elvis Costello)
Good Mother by Jann Arden. Those who have heard it need no other explanation. If you haven’t heard it, wait no longer!
· The ending of The Time Traveller’s Wife. It’s too complicated to go into as it involves time travel, obviously so I won’t give it away. But I wept LIKE A BABY.
· The Stone Carvers by Jane Urquhart. Such a beautiful story.
· In Northern Exposure. It’s the episode called Northern Lights in Season 4. Chris’ winter art project involves collecting all the lights he can find in the town and making this crazy art installation which he introduces to the townsfolk with a beautiful monologue about what light means to humanity. Then he switches all the lights on with these giant switches at the same time that Enya’s Ebudae starts.
And hey, there’s always the Real Life moments:
· Christmas carols & the kids’ Christmas concerts. No matter how bad, I get all choked up.
· Weddings. Of course.
· Baptisms. Our priest has this beautiful ritual where after a baptism he holds up the infant and walks it down the aisles of the church introducing it to the community. I have to feign sand in my eyes every time.
· My youngest saying “Merry Christmas Mommy”
How irritating are all these links eh what?
What’s your “so beautiful it makes me cry” list?